Monday, May 23, 2011

Newly 25

Hello,

A few days a go was my 25th birthday. A big birthday I guess, or at least that's what people said. Of course some of my friends are older and they told me this was the last big one before 30. I don't know if this was my last big one I love my birthday and getting a lot of my friends to celebrate and have fun together. Friends from my college days, my church, and others all came out to celebrate and it was perfect I thought. We had Pizza at California Pizza Kitchen and then went out to do Karaoke. Where I and a few of my brave friends attempted to sing Telephone by Lady Gaga, Baby by Justin Beiber and Wannabe by the Spice Girls. It was lots of fun! And I loved all my friends for cheering me on.

Over dinner I was asked what I would like to do by my next birthday. I said I would like to be a full time student. As some of you know I am currently working full time and going to school part time and while that was good I think I'd rather get my masters done so I can work in the library field I want to work in not just calling my self a wanna be librarian. I also said I didn't want to sail around the world in lawn chair and little boat. While I do wish I could travel more I know with school and fiances that's not always possible. I have been thinking also lately I would like to write more.

I do have some down time at work and I usually spend that time on Facebook... not usually doing what I want to do and that is writing. I have countless stories all running through my head. But most of them never get out of my head on and on to paper. And as you can probably tell I am not a published author so even if I write them out. I never finish them. I don't want to get side tracked a lot. Also when I was in school this last semester my brain got fried. But I do need some mental release and that's when I escape into the world of my stories. So any way I would like to give 20 minutes of writing every day, which isn't that much but I have to at least keep writing.

The story I have most going through my mind is kind of a Sense and Sensibility story. Only it takes place in the early 20th century about a mother and her 3 daughters (the older 2 are the main characters) but they live in their Grandmother's house because after the death of their father they are poor. The story is mostly told through Emmy's eyes. She is the second daughter and longs for adventure more than anything and hates the confines of her world. Then Laurel is painted as this modest young woman who is very gentle and though the beauty of the town, Pine Haven, her modesty cast her rather plainly. She also feels a great burden to marry well so she can pull her family out of its humble standings. The action of the story begins when their cousins the well to do Danfords come to visit, Marcus and Julia and their friend Ethan Foster. Ethan is college mates of Marcus from England and has a summer position in New York but before the position begins he spends a few weeks with the Danfords. Also Marcus is recently engaged to Kathryn James. But he knows to continue his inheritance he must get approval of his Grandmother Cornelia. She demands to meet Kathryn. Kathryn brings along her eldest brother Brandon James and then the next brother Caleb joins them after a few weeks. By that time Ethan has gone off to New York every one thinks he will be back shortly and propose to Laurel but she does not encourage such comments. Julia has long loved Caleb and hopes that as soon as her brother and his sister are married she will be married to Caleb. But Caleb falls for Laurel when he tells this Julia she says that Laurel will soon be engaged to Ethan Foster. Caleb says that's impossible as Ethan has long been engaged to Sally Lawrence, secretly of course. In the background of all this Brandon James has fallen for Emmy but no one but her mother sees it because Brandon is at least 10 years older than her. That's mostly what I got figured out right now but I think there is going to be some more action in Boston at Marcus and Kathryn's wedding and also a twist at the end when Grandma Cornelia dies.

I imagine my characters living in this grand house and even though its beautiful it is also so grand it looks a little suffocating at least to Emmy.



Because of the constraint of her grandma's house Emmy spends a lot of time in the woods by her house.

















2 comments:

Hunter C said...

I can definitely see the resemblance with S&S but it sounds interesting. I love the characters names, so classic! If you finish any of your writings, I'd love to read them!

Blaire said...

Well I want there to be some resemblance but not a total copy.