Thursday, March 24, 2011

My sister called me out

My sister who has now become a blogger, chatting about the daily works of her family (that I love to read) called me out for not writing much.
" I know," I said with a sigh. "I don't have time to write besides school papers."
Believe me they would not be fun to read. But I read blogs. Sometimes I get to work earlier than I would like and before I am ready to answer all my emails, I sit with my travel mug of coffee and read blogs. But my sister is right I don't blog much... but as my blog is titled "A journey through writing" this would be the low period of my writing.

I do imagine characters all the time though.

I have a wonderful little dialogues in my head of a librarian, no surprise, since that's what I am going to school for, digging through the of her library vaults and discovering letters from the 19th century (my passion in history). These letters might be from some one famous that everyone has heard of but no one knows her true history because these letters or maybe a diary has been hidden for 100s of years. Or maybe its a no one just a woman who seems to have a simple life (but there always has to be a secret). I don't have it all figured out yet.

What I have been doing with my time is....
http://womenmovement.wikispaces.com/
It is a path finder or resource finder as project for my reference library class. In it I am suppose to be helping a student/ information seeker that is looking for information on a certain topic. I have done my path finder on the Women's Rights movement of the 19th century (something that has always intrigued me).

Also for my history research paper I am doing my paper on a mostly unknown woman who was an abolitionist and a women's rights leader, Abigail Kelley Foster AKA Abby Kelley. I am finding her life quite fascinating.

What I am also loving about both my path finder and Abby Kelley is that these are women that pushed the mold of what a woman should be. Back in the 19th century the ideal woman was expected to stay completely in the "home sphere" and the women that pushed these boundaries I have loved to explore into their lives. Though I do often explain to people I am 19th century feminist not a 20th century feminist (for many reasons). But what I have loved doing about these projects is they have inspired my story ideas.

So Hunter, I will try to write more.

2 comments:

Hunter C said...

I'm glad you are a 19th century feminist! 20th century feminists are very annoying and not often focused on serving others and following God-though I'm sure there are exceptions.

Will you bring me your favorite J. Donnelly books in April? I need some new good books to read. I maybe borrowing it for awhile since I don't read very fast these days. But I'll get them back to you when I can.

I voted on your names, I like Emma and Charlotte (but spelled that way, not the way you spelled it) though I would never name a child Emma b/c its the number one girls name right now. Too popular, because of Friends I think.

I'm glad I got mentioned as calling you out on your blog. You should put the link on here to allow people to be emailed when you post so our parents see it, if you want. Love you!

Blaire said...

I sorry I missed spelled Charlotte. I should probably check spelling before I put it on the internet.
I did add a link with getting email... but I don't know how good of blogger I will be.