Friday, August 12, 2011

Free Write Friday

Based off the [Fiction] Friday Challenge at Write Anything.

[Fiction] Friday Challenge #220 [Fiction] Friday Challenge #220 for August 12th, 2011

Include each of these items in your story. Priest, ring, magnifying glass, cat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I am just suppose to right anything for 5 minutes....

I am not Catholic so it was strange to me that my mother said a Priest would be coming over to lunch today and I was suppose to be in my "Sunday best". I wasn't sure what my Sunday best was as a family we hadn't been to church in several years so my Sunday best was my house slippers and my baggy sweater. I tried asking my mom why a priest was coming over but she wouldn't tell me.
When I came home for lunch Father O'Leary was already sitting on mother's best sofa, the one that had the soft blush flower design. I was never allowed to sit on it, it was only for special guest Father O'Leary must have been very special that he had been allowed to sit on it. Mother rushed me into the bathroom so I could wash off my face and straighten my hair. I didn't know why mother was making such a show for this priest but she was certainly trying to present us in our best light. I even noticed she had put Hamlet, our cat, outside. He hadn't left the fire escape and I could hear him yelping all the way down the block.
After a few minutes of silent eating, minutes that felt like each one lasted a life time. Mother asked me where my father was. I told her that on the motor bus to work he said he may not be able to come to lunch as his both had him under lock and key these last few days. Father O'Leary then cleared his throat and pulled out a ring from his pocket. I could tell with out a magnifying class that it wasn't really a ring just a gold band and a piece of glass.
"This was your mothers?" he said.
My breath and appetite were gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay that was probably more than five minutes but they said to keep writing... that was fun.

2 comments:

John Pender said...

Continuity needs a little more development. The last two lines made me think 'mother' was just a figment of the imagination, but I was also left wondering if maybe the priest meant to say "This was your father's?"
Other than that, I liked it.

Blaire said...

I know John, its not my story I was just trying it out. I will keep working on my free writes...this is just what came to my head. I was thinking we would find out my character had another mother and the woman she called mother had actually adopted her but I wasn't sure how to work it all out for a free write.