Friday, August 2, 2013

The Truth was Buried



{pic}
I know I have posted a few movie reviews up here... well this is the last of my 6 that I got from the library and it was probably the most powerful one. The Conspirator is about Mary Surratt played by Robin Wright (The Princess Bride, Forrest Gump), she is the mother of John Surratt and owned the boarding house visited by John Wilkes Booth. John Surratt is the only one of the assassinators that got away after the Lincoln assassination. This is the story of her court case. Tom Wilkinson (who was in Best Marigold Hotel) is a senator from Maryland but also a lawyer takes on her case believing it is in just for a civilian to be tried in a military court but then quickly realizes as he is from Maryland he will not be able to win the case so he gives it to his associate Frederick Aiken played by James McAvoy (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the witch and the Wardrobe, Atonement, Becoming Jane).  That sounds bad but Tom Wilkson's character gives Frederick the case because Frederick was a Union captain and believes that will give Mary Surratt better chances. At first Frederick believes Mary Surratt is guilty and doesn't want the case and all his friends including girl friend (played by Alexis Bledel) try to talk him out of fighting the case, but more than the guilt or innocence of Mary he fights to defend justice. As much as it is Mary Surratt and Fredrick Aiken's story it is also the story about our country after the assassination.

Alexis Bledel and James McAvoy
{pic}
Why I watched- There are a few reasons I watched this film. 1) My love of Alexis Bledel, I know I should say my love of history... I mean after all I am getting a Master's in History... nope the first thing that drew me to this movie was seeing Alexis Bledel in the trailer. I loved her in Gilmore Girls and want to support her career. 2) As much as I am a 19th Century fan I know very little about the Civil War and the after affects. So I was intrigued. 


Robin Wright and James McAvoy
{pic}
What I loved- The story. Like I said I do not know much about this time period and it does not seem to be a story spread widely around so I was kind of on the edge of my seat to see how it was all going to come about. I also loved how even though Frederick did not believe in Mary Surratt's innocence he believed in justice. There is one scene where Mary asks "have you ever lived for something greater than yourself?" He responds "I spent the last four years fighting for something greater than myself" and she says back to him then "We are the same." I think this scene really changes the story. He begins to see her as a person and not just a guilty person.  I also liked seeing Kevin Kline play sort of a bad guy. In the roles I know him in he usually plays a funny guy but in this he is the Secretary of War and is so set on bringing down anyone involved with the assassination he doesn't even really listen to reason. He says he is doing it for the good of the country, but I was wondering was he? I also loved that we don't know if Mary Surratt knew about the conspiracy or not and I guess the writers are leaving that to decided. However Mary Surratt has such strength, I don't want to give a way any spoilers but there is one scene where the men she is being tried with are crying and she is just still. It was a very powerful moment.

What I didn't like- Alexis Bledel, the main reason I watched this film, is actually kind of a weak character. Though, now having wrote that, I wonder if I wouldn't respond in the same way. Her country has just been turn apart by war, all along waiting for her love to come back from the battle, then the president is shot, and her love is defending someone who everyone thinks is guilty.

Overall- I saw Lincoln over Christmas this seems like a good follow up to that movie though on slightly smaller scale (not so over the top as Lincoln). And while this is mostly a trial movie there was plenty of story outside the court room to keep the scenes interesting. I think even none history buffs will like it.
The real Conspirators
The casting for this was great some of the actors look like twins to these guys
{pic}
At the end all of these movie reviews I am happy to have some movies crossed off my To Netflix List but I must say I have enjoyed more getting these movie at the library... hello free is always the best.  

No comments: