Sunday, August 7, 2011

Bright Star


I just watched the movie Bright Star the movie about the love between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. To start off I will say that I did not know much about Keats when I first watched this movie, I knew he was suppose to be the key Romantic English Poet. Besides that I knew this movie got lots of rave reviews about fashion and the impact it had on the spring fashion.

Did you see big collars or funky hats? I don't remember.

But I did like seeing Fanny Brawne's color and flair. Usually in period films of this era you see lots of whites and browns. My mom said that was the case because white showed a girls purity (like wearing white dresses for a bride) and color dyes were expensive. I could not tell if Fanny was rich but she seemed comfortable.

But the story is about the love between John Keats who is poor and can not marry. Or if he did marry he would have to work and would not be able to write, as his friend (Mr. Brown- a character I did not understand) reminded him. He also knew he could not support her. But yet the heart does not think of the pocket book.

The Article on Wikipedia was really good for the plot.

Though Fanny's flirtatious personality contrasts with Keats's notably more aloof nature, she begins to pursue him after she has her siblings, Samuel and Toots, obtain his book of poetry "Endymion". Despite her efforts to interact with the poet it is only after witnessing her grief for the loss of his brother Tom that Keats begins to open up to Fanny's advances, where he spends Christmas with the Brawne family. After Keats begins to give poetry less
ons to Fanny it becomes apparent that their attraction is mutual, however Fanny is nevertheless troubled in regards to Keats's reluctance to pursue her, for which her mother (Kerry Fox) summarizes, "Mr Keats knows he cannot like you, he has no living and no income".

It is only after Fanny receives a valentine from Brown that Keats passionately confronts them and wonders if they are lovers. Brown, who sent the valentine in jest, warns Keats of Fanny, claiming that she is a mere flirt playing a game. On the other hand, Fanny, hurt by the
accusations and Keats's lack of faith in her, ends their lessons and leaves. It isn't until after the Dilkes move to Westminster that spring, leaving the Brawne family six months half rent in their home neighboring Brown, that Fanny and Keats resume their interaction and fall deeply in love. The relationship comes to an abrupt end, however, after Brown leaves for his summer rental with Keats, so that Keats may earn some money. Though Fanny is heartbroken, she is comforted by Keats's love letters. When the men return in the autumn, Fanny's mother shows concern, feeling that Fanny's attachment with the poet will hinder her from being courted. Secretly,
however, Fanny and Keats are engaged.


Sadly it does not end well for the couple and maybe if I knew more about Keats I would have known that. But if you are just watching the movie for the great fashion it it worth it. I loved the costuming and the color not just in the fabric but in the scenes. It was a lot brighter and not has harsh as the other Jane Campion film I saw in a Women Studies Class The Piano.















I liked this picture a lot because when I saw it I thought of my character, Emmy, reading in the field.

4 comments:

Hunter C said...

So, since I'm not a fashion guru like you, would I like the movie for movie's sake or is it not good?

Blaire said...

I wish I had known more about Keats life before I saw it. And I found the movie a little slow pace even so if I was you I wouldn't drag Jesse to see it but if its on TV (as it was when I caught by chance) I would watch it. I mean IMBD gave it 7 out 10 stars and there was nothing bad with it just a lazy day movie.

Lisa said...

Influence on fashion? Those ruffled collars shown in your photos here seem to be everywhere for a few seasons now! Even the Duchess of Cambridge, Michelle Obama, Carla Bruni and other icons have been photographed in ruffled collars, nice to see that this movie might have inspired this current fashion trend!

jannet watson said...

magical spells really work!! I never thought there were still honest, genuine, trustworthy and very powerful spell casters until i met the spiritual helper, MERUJA OWO. last week he did a love spell for me and it worked effectively and now he just casted another healing spell for my friend who has fibroid and family problem and now she is totally free and she is presently the happiest person on earth, she keeps thanking me all day..
I just thought it would be good to tell the whole world about his good work and how genuine he is, i wasn't thinking i could get any help because of my past experiences with other fake casters who could not bring my husband back to me and they all promised heaven and earth and all they are able to do is ask for more money all the time until i met with this man. he does all spells, Love spells, money spells, lottery spells e.t.c i wish i can save every one who is in those casters trap right now because i went though hell thinking and hoping they could help me.i recommend MERUJA OWO for any kind of help you want.
his email address is: oduakar1@live.com
if you want to ask me anything my e-mail is: jannet_madeson@yahoo.com
Kind Regards,