Monday, April 2, 2012

The Hunger Games

Song: Safe and Sound
Artist: Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars 
(From the Soundtrack of the Hunger Games)

{Pic}
I am sad to say that when I started the Hunger Games book I didn't want to like it. Every one raved about it and I thought when I started to read it I wouldn't like it. It is not like anything I have ever read futuristic and violent, these don't really scream "Blaire". Also I don't usually read books just because they are popular, I mean I have never read a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings books. But my best friend sold me on this book because she said there was a love triangle "okay," I thought "I will read it, if it has a love triangle." I was even more intrigued because my best friend hates love stories but she liked this, I had to give it a try. I usually give a book a 100 pages, if I am not captured by then I set it down, but this book me had me on my edge of my seat long before then. I was captured till the very end.

I think with all the buzz of the movie, I don't need to discuss the plot and I don't want to give anything away because if you haven't read it... you are missing out. But basically it is  post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive (source... gives spoilers). The story is told through Katniss' perspective, she is the older daughter and provider for her mother and sister. At the reaping (the lottery) her younger sister's name is called but Katniss takes her place... but now she must survive The Hunger Games. 


I think to say I was captured is the best review I can give, as a girl who is a hopeless romantic I was swept up in the story, but it not a complete romantic story. I mean everyone I have met who has read the book loves it, boy or girl, young or old, it doesn't seem to matter. So while the title of the book and basic plot might turn you off... give it a try. I was so captured by this book that read every time I was on the T, once I missed my usual spot because I was so engrossed. Another time I was so swept up in the story I got on the wrong T line. It is kind of embarrassing and funny how much I loved the story. Almost crying at some points while in Dunkin' Donuts and staying up till 2AM to finish the book. With all my grad school reading I still finished it in a week... so if you have time you probably finish it faster. 


The only thing I found frustrating about this book was when ever I pulled it out, people wanted to talk to me about it and I had to hush them because I didn't want to give anything away... so if you read it maybe bury yourself in a closed off room. 
{Pic}
I highly recommend reading the book before watching the movie... they left out some details that were crucial. As always the book is always better.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I haven't read the books yet...or seen the movie. But it's amazing how many people are hooked. It's like there was Harry Potter, then Twilight & now Hunger Games. I tried to read Harry Potter...couldn't get 1/2 way through the first book. --Weird because everyone else LOVED it. Twilight...I think maybe I got through chapter 1. But, I am curious about Hunger Games. :)

Blaire said...

Hello Kimberly, I too haven't read Harry Potter or Twilight. But I did love the first book now I am awaiting my library to tell me when I can pick up the second book.
I would give this book a try if I was you. Not because they are popular but because they are captivating. They are nothing like I have ever read and loved them.