Monday, February 27, 2012

A night at the Oscars

Pic
Last night I watch the Oscars with some of my friends. I have watched the Oscars almost every year with my mom and step dad, and since moving to Boston I have continued to watch them mostly by myself so it was fun watching them in a group. 


We watched the red carpet and I made my friends laugh at how excited I got to see Colin Firth. Sadly they had not seen Pride and Prejudice so they could not understand my love of the best Mr. Darcy. 
Some Red Carpet Moments...
Pic
As much as I love Emma Stone, 
I was not thrilled with this dress.
Pic
J LO reading Edith Head's quote...
"Your dress should be tight enough to show you're a woman
but loose enough to show you're a lady." 
made me laugh.
Pic
This was probably my favorite of the night...
Michele Williams rocks vintage fashion.
Pic
I actually liked Cameron Diaz's dress.

Through out the night we voted for who we thought was going to win and keep a tally of it. Out of the 5 of us watching only 2 of cared by the end what the score was. It added a little competition to the night. Considering I had only seen "The Help" and "The Artist" of the big nominated films, I really didn't think I was going to do so well in the "competition." My friend was giving me "evil" looks the better I was doing, I couldn't help be happy for every right guess. 

Over all I thought Billy Crystal did a fine job, brought back years of memories when he hosted them when I was a child. The Metro, a free newspaper in Boston, did not like Billy Crystal "opened with familiar formula bu it felt more tired than true...he barely strayed from tradition with a tone deaf sing-along parody of the nine nominate films -- a gag he and others host have done year after year."-Heidi Patalano. I personally want to see Neil Patrick Harris host the Oscars. After watching him host the Emmy's I think he would do a good job.


The opening of the Emmy's

 I am glad that the Academy made fun of its self with having an appearance by Justin Beiber in order to get the 18 to 24 demographic. Billy Crystal joked how good it was to watch millionaires give each other golden statues. Billy Crystal made other jokes, I thought he could get away with. But I thought the bit between Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert Downey Jr. in presenting best documentary lasted too long. And I thought the Cirque du soleil performance was the best the best part of the Oscars and like nothing I had seen at the Oscars before. Probably my favourite part of the night besides laughing a lot with my friends at little moments.


Pic
Pic

I hope you had a good time watching the Oscars too. 

2 comments:

Laura Elizabeth said...

I'm not really an Oscars fan. Once the dresses have been paraded past the camera, I'm over it! I liked Natalie Portman's dress, I thought that was cool.

I love Neil Patrick Harris's hosting style. Actually I think NPH and Hugh Jackman should team up and host the Oscars. I think that would be brilliant. I'd definitely watch the Oscars then!!

I have decided what I want to write about for my guest post :) I have a couple of hours spare tomorrow so fingers crossed I can get it done for you.

Kelly said...

i am sort of embarrassed to say i haven't watched the oscars in years. :/