Saturday, May 5, 2012

Catching Fire... and the obsession continues

I don't know how I am going to write this book review with out giving away some spoilers so if you plan on reading this book you may or may not want to read this review. But before you look a way know how much I loved it and if you have read the Hunger Games you have to read this book too. Also have a copy of Mockinjay near by for when you finish because you are going to need it.

OKAY people who don't want spoilers look away.
{pic}
In Catching Fire we join Katniss and gang six months after she and Peeta have been declared victors. Their act of "love", eating the berries, is seen as a act of rebellion which has caused a spark in the districts. Six months after the games the Katniss and Peeta have to tour the districts, which is a rub in the face to the districts to prove the Capitol is powerful.President Snow comes to Katniss to warn her that she has to put out the spark. She has to convince the districts that she and Peeta are really in love and not acting out of rebellion but they doesn't seems to be enough to please President Snow or stop the spark. The tour is not ideal but they can only hope life will be okay but then the worst comes... this year is the 75th Hunger Games and being such a big occasion the Capitol has a surprise for them. President Snow announces that each district must supply their tributes from previous victors. This means Katniss for sure and Peeta takes Haymitch's spot. Katniss has set it in her mind that Peeta must come out of the games alive, he is the only one who can help the growing rebellion. But what will happen in the end?

I admit I am on "Team Peeta". When I was reading the Hunger Games everyone was asking me if I was on "Team Gale" or "Team Peeta" but to be honest I didn't know because I didn't know Gale from just that one book but Peeta captured my heart when he announces his love for Katniss. I am a sucker for a love story. It just crushes me how much he loves Katniss and can't accept his love. I know she keeps saying that she wants Gale but her actions reflect that she needs Peeta. I mean is he is the one that calm her down and stop her bad dreams and he is the one that keeps putting himself on the line to protect her. So I love Peeta and I just wish they could be together forever.

I am so hoping that Peeta and Katniss get together that my co-worker who is on page 300 of Mockingjay has told me that if they don't end up together I am going to need therapy. Yeah I get swept up in love stories.
{Pic}
I also get really wrapped in stories, in general, and these are great novels to get wrapped up into, so when they announced that Katniss would have to go back into the arena I was really mad. How can they do this to her and to me again. How can she and Peeta survive another time in the arena. The only thing that got me through this torture was what my friend said when I was reading the "Hunger Games" is that the story is told through Katniss' eyes so she has to live. I kept telling myself every time I worried that she would not make it out of the arena alive. Even with this knowledge my heart pounded in indication of what was going to happen and how was she going to survive. I don't know if I would have survived these books if it was not for my friend's good insight.

{pic}
I will admit when I am reading a book that has me holding my breath, I read the last page to see what is going to happen. The last line of them saying there is no District 12 I was like what the what? How much more are these people going to go through till it ends? I guess I will find out when I finish Mockingjay. I want to finish so I can stop holding my breath but I don't want it to end because I love these characters and these stories and I don't want them to end. Because like Peeta says "I wish I could freeze this moment right here, right now, and live in it forever." I don't want to live here forever as I know there are other books to read I just love Suzanne Collins writing she keeps me on the edge of my seat and I just don't want to put it down. And when I am in these books I just escape into another world and I love books that allow me to escape.

I am so glad my friend made me read the Hunger Games... I will put them on my list of books to read over and over again.
I know this is not actually in the movie just liked it.
{pic}
The two things I hope for in MockingJay....

1. Peeta and Katniss will end up together or else I will just cry
{pic}

2. That Cinna is alive, I hate what they did to him
{Pic}
I can't believe I thought I wasn't going to like these books and now I am just absorbed into them.

No comments: