Sunday, May 6, 2012

Overwhelmed by Love


Over these last few weeks I have been raising support for my trip to Honduras in August and I have been overwhelmed with the generosity of people.

When I first learned about this trip I kept praying that if this is what the Lord wanted he would keep the doors open. I had also already committed most of June and all of July to summer school so if I was going to go on this trip it had to be when I wasn't in summer school, its not. So that door has remained open. Another possible door could have been my family, I know I am 25 and living in Boston so they could not have physically stopped me from going on this trip but if they were not supportive I would be questioning this trip. My mom, in her protective way, worries about me going to other countries. I tell her I want to go to Israel and she worries I will be blown up in a car bomb or when I talk about going to Africa she worries I will get AIDS. I know it is a motherly thing for her to worry about me but I was nervous she would not support this trip because of all her mother some worries. But she has been the very supportive, which is great. Actually, when I originally mentioned this trip they thought I was going by myself. I mean they knew I was going with Living Water but they thought I would be alone not knowing anyone I was with, so they were relieved I was going as a team with people from my church. So they were more supportive then I thought because they were supporting me when they thought I was going by myself. Another door for me could have been the shots. I mean I hate shots but worse than that is I didn't have a doctor here in Boston. Well that had to be fixed for multiple reasons not just my shots. Now I have a doctor and I have gotten both my typhoid, first rabies shot and I go in on Wednesday for my second rabies shot and Hepatitis A, then after one more rabies shot I will be done for trip.

To see more on all of this go to "Blaire Goes to Honduras Blog."

While all these doors could have stopped me a long the way, the main reason for this post is to thank people for all the support have been given. I keep thanking God about how blessed I am to have people who are supporting me in this journey. I have never really been on a missions trip like this. I have gone on trips with Campus Crusade but they have all been in clean America, nothing outside the country. So I feel in a way this is my first mission trip.

When I was younger, I felt guilty for not being called to the missions field. My older sister went on mission trips and my younger sister wants to go to Africa and she told me once she wanted to die a martyr. I have never had that conviction. I went to my dad all upset that I didn't feel called to the mission field. He told me that if every Christian was called to go to Africa or China there would no Christians in America. For awhile I could live with that answer and consul myself that answer. But lately I have been feeling that there has to be more. Last Christmas, as usual my church did our Advent Conspiracy tradition and I saw this sign...
This sign tugged at my heart strings, because I love children, I can't stand the fact that children, the most innocent creatures are dying because they can't get clean water. So I wanted to do something. I can always give money but more than that I wanted to go and dig a well. Like most people I thought the need was in Africa, so I had my heart set on Africa. Because of the length of a water project in Africa, short tern mission trips are only allowed to go to Central or South America. But the more I learn about the water issue the this makes great sense. In Central and South America the water is close to the surface but they dig wells they haven't covered them properly meaning that animals get inside them and contaminate them. So while I would love to one day go to Africa my heart is set on Honduras.

Since I have never been on mission's trip I am not really for sure what to expect. But one thing I was not expecting was the out pouring of generosity. I have to raise $2,000 and as of yesterday I am close to $800 dollars. It has amazed me how many people are willing to help. I am also surprised when people "sorry it's not much" because to me it is huge and I feel so blessed to have people who are giving so generously. This is the real purpose of this post to thank people for their generosity and how amazing it feels to have this kind of support and love.

If you are interested in supporting me please contact me so I can give you more details. THANKS!



No comments: