Thursday, November 3, 2011

Christmas Mindset already?

Is it bad that its not even Thanksgiving and I am already thinking about Christmas. I am very much a person who believes in one holiday at a time and I get mad at stores that put Christmas stuff out before Halloween. After having a sister that worked in a craft store I understand more why they get it because there is just so much stuff they have to put it out, but I still don't like it... I like Christmas to be sacred.

Growing up my mom wouldn't let us listen to a Christmas song or watch a Christmas movie till after we had watched White Christmas, which we did on Thanksgiving day or the day after. And I loved sitting there with my slice of pecan pie and maybe hot coco letting the Christmas season begin. My mom would fill the house with little Annalees and I got to do the nativity scene, which was always my favorite as it was really the only decorating I did.  Then when it was all gone, I remember the house looked so empty.
An Example of an Annalee
A Fontanini nativity set.
But now I see on facebook that a lot of people are already watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas songs... and I want to join in but I can't because I still believe Christmas should be sacred and we should wait till after Thanksgiving to celebrate the season of Christmas. But I so badly want watch my favorite Christmas movies and sing Christmas songs.


I know my mom reads, this and will probably be thinking "you are an adult, you can watch Christmas movies whenever you want." That true mom, I can but I like Christmas being at Christmas time. So I am holding out for after Thanksgiving to start decking the halls. 

I think I like the idea of Christmas because it means going home, seeing my family, and reliving traditions. I have a lot of fond family memories surrounding Christmas. It also means a time away from school and stress and I could use that right now. So maybe I am not jealous of the people already watching Christmas movies, I am jealous of the mind set they are in.

Okay that is my random tangent of the day.... If you are in the Christmas mindset already please consider Advent Conspiracy. The idea of it is to remember the real meaning of Christmas.

No comments: