Monday, November 7, 2011

My love of escapism

Okay guys, I don't think its a secret that most of my pleasure reading and watching movies and TV, I use as escapism. I thought I would blog about what I use to escape when the world is just too much for me to handle.

1. Books- most of my favorite books take place in the 19th century though some of them take place from the Roman Empire to WWII.

If I am not reading something for fun I think I will collapse. I need it as away to think about other things besides school. Though I am not reading fast.
2. TV/Movies- My newest obsession with TV is Downton Abbey. I can watch and dream what it would be like to wear fancy gowns and have gourmet dinners served nightly and always have my hair perfectly in place.

3. My own writing- Though it is hard to get the energy to write, when I get the time (really when I make the time) I still love to write. Fortunately I am a very big journal writer and I try to work on this blog but I wish I got more of my story done. Oh well can't do everything at once.
4. My friends- I know it might sound silly but I do have to remember to hang out with friends and when I am with them no matter how stressed I am they can always make me laugh. Plus they remind me to keep my priorities in check (I love that about them).






The Civil Wars
5. Music- I am not any where close to being a musician but I have finally jumped on to the idea of how cool spotify is and I love listening to music. My favorite types are country (nothing too twangy)/ folk/ and a little bit of Blue Grass. I have discovered Sarah Darling, Sarah Jarosz, and Sara Groves (I guess I really like the Sara(h)s). I have also discovered The Civil Wars and I have let my once quiet love for country not to be quiet anymore. I always take suggestions for music so let me know if you have any bands I must listen to. So while I may not be a musician and I know nothing about chords or a melody there is something nice about having music on in the back ground that calms me down and lets me escape.
6. My faith- though it is not really escapism I feel I must include it here as one of the main things that keeps me going. All the things above are good at letting me escape sometimes my over worked under slept life but my faith this semester has really gotten me through some rough patches. Earlier this year I was very down about the question "what am I doing with my life?" "what I am here for?" and actually I still don't have the answers to that I know that the Lord does and I just have to keep leaning on him. (Even as I write that it sounds totally cheesey but its true).

No comments: