Monday, November 28, 2011

A thought on Peace?


The word in Hebrew is Shalom


My church (Reunion Christian Church) has been going through the book of Luke. This week we read the story of Jesus being anointed by the sinful woman. Luke 7:36-50 it is a great story about a woman who is known in town to be a sinful woman probably a prostitute and if you don't know about the culture context of the day that is like the lowest of the low. She hears that Jesus is having dinner in town with the Pharisees (religious rule almost dictators) and she comes in and uses her tears to wash Jesus' feet and kisses his feet. She realizes how deep her sin is and how much she needs to be forgiven. The pharisees cannot really believe Jesus is interacting with her and when Jesus confronts their gossip he tells them a parable about a two men who are in debt one owes 50 denarii* and the other owes 500 but there debts have been wiped clean and Jesus asks the Pharisees which one do you think would be more grateful. The Pharisees says the one who owed more. Jesus says that he is right. Jesus told the Pharisees that this woman realized how big of burden her sins were and she realized how much she needed to be forgiven. It is a great story but the sentence that struck me the most was verse 50...

Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

*-is about a days wage

I write this post about that phrase. Peace is an interesting word it has a lot of connotations. It could mean the absence of war or conflict (internally or externally). It could also mean "being at peace" a phrase common in Yoga classes. But at church (and the way I like to think about it is) Peace=Shalom. Not just the Hebrew hello but Shalom means completeness.

Woman washing Jesu's feet
Found at A White Stone
Can you imagine what it must have been like for her to hear "go in completeness." I kind of see it as go and define yourself no more by your past errors. I admit I might be reading to much into it but I don't think I am. Repeatedly the Bible says when you confess your errors (actions or mindset) it is removed from you meaning you are no longer judged by that error. Jesus didn't just say “your faith has saved you; go in peace” to that one woman he says it to everyone. But if you are like me I hold myself in guilt of those errors, wrong judgements, and bad thoughts. As you can read in my post A little road mapping I am my own worst critic.

To be honest I replay things a lot in my mind, mostly bad things I have done or arguments I have gotten into and they kind of haunt me. In that case I don't feel like I am letting things go and allowing Jesus to come in. I don't feel I am living in the completeness God has to offer. I feel like God is saying to me "go in peace" and I just don't because I can't erase memories. So what am I suppose to do?  I sometimes feel like I am holding myself hostage when God is setting me free.


I know that is a weird picture but sometimes I feel I am the second person still in the mold but trying to squirm free. I wish I could be like the fourth dancing in the sun.


Freedom is a fun word to look up on Pinterest

I wonder how much that woman's life changed after Jesus said that to her. I wonder if she felt complete.
Here is my little reminder to myself.
I think I should write that on my mirror. 

11/29 Update:
Last night during a quiet moment I was reading Proverbs and I on side bar it had men of faithfulness. it pointed to David, a man after God's own heart, and talked about even though he made mistakes he learned from them. I guess if David a man who has his ups and downs through out his faith is still considered a man after God's own heart I too can make mistakes and God will still love me and cherish me.
David in Prayer
for He guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.
For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
Discretion will protect you,
and understanding will guard you.
I know this post was a little more "religious" but I use this blog as a journal and I wanted to let you know what I am going through. Please share your thoughts but please don't be hateful towards my faith.

No comments: