Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blog Popularity?



In case you haven't noticed Blogspot has changed things about their lay out. The one thing I like the least is that you can see how many people have viewed your blog daily. I feel like it has become a popularity contest... but I don't like that. I shouldn't be writing this blog  just to get popularity.


I have never been a person for popularity. I have always worn clothes I like rather it be hoodies and jeans and now working full time I feel like I dress like the classic librarian (cardigan and skirt combo). I don't read books because they are popular and the music I like ranges so I have no idea whats popular currently. So why should it matter when it comes to this blogs. Blogs are about writing and getting followers. The number of followers= popularity?

I started writing this blog to share my story with my friends and family. I used this blog as a little oasis but over the last few months I pushed myself to write every day (not always my finest writing). I did it at first to use it as a creative space but some how it got twisted (in my brain) to get followers. But I felt my writing was not getting better it was just becoming streams of thought no real structure. And I think it shows.... the post I loved writing got a lot more views and the ones that were off the cusp and no structure got fewer views.

Not that it should be about viewership... but I shouldn't be wasting my time writing and your time reading if I don't truly enjoy what I am writing. So I will try to be better.

I am going to try to go back to my roots for this blog. I want to write about what inspires me or my writing rather it be a picture I found or a quote I like or blog from one of the many bloggers I follow. I want to share my story more from what is going on in my life to what I am writing. I have loved this summer writing about books I was reading to the movies I saw. In a few days I will be in class so I can keep you posted on cataloging and historical research (fun times right?). I just want to get back to why I loved this blog... an oasis not an obligation.

I need to follow two inspiring author's words...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

-Dr. Seuss (found at Goodreads.com)

Try to stand still inside all of that and hear your own voice. It's yours and only yours, it's unique and worthy of your attention, and if you cultivate it properly, it might just make you a writer.
-Jennifer Donnelly

I know there more about being yourself but these are the authors that came to mind.

Thanks for reading
-Blaire

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Here's to more posts that you LOVE writing!