Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Dinner Party

While watching the Emmy's I typed up more of my story... that was good home work break. 
To learn more about The James Family click here 
Found at "Will Type For Food"



That night at dinner Emmy sat next to Brandon.

            “Your sister, Mr. James tells me you are the British Ambassador’s right hand man.”
            “I don’t know if I would say that.”
            “Didn’t you just return from a trip from England with him where you met the Prime Minister?”
            “I did.”
            “Well I would say you are quite important then.”
            “You are kind Miss Cromwell.”
            Emmy laughed, no one ever called her Miss Cromwell, no one called her Miss anything she was just Emmy. But she could see laughter was not the right thing to do by the way he looked.
            “I am sorry Mr. James, I wasn’t laughing at you, I was laughing at being called Miss Cromwell that title belongs to my sister. I am just Emmy.”
            “How old are you?”
            “Sixteen?”
            “It is not right to call a lady by just her first name.”
            “But everyone does. Everyone calls me Emmy minus Miss Pembers; though my real name is Emmaline.”
            “That is an interesting name.”
            “What you mean is odd.”
            Brandon saw her sulk a bit. “No I mean not common but beautiful.”
            “It was my father’s mother’s name, I was born a month after she passed away. But everyone calls me Emmy. I am not graceful enough to have such a name as Emmaline.”
            “Why do you say that?”
            “My Grandma Danford tells me.”
            “Well I don’t want to dispute your Grandma but I disagree.”

            Emmy smiled.
            
Then it struck Brandon how much this young girl looked like Martha, his love from Oxford. Their faces could almost be identical with the same almond shape eyes and sweet smile that made her nose crinkle. Before he could speak again her sister Gloria had grabbed her attention. He overheard them talking and heard them talking about the piano.

            “Oh do you play, Miss Emmy?”
            “Hardly, Gloria and I were discussing how she and Laurel should put on a show for you and Miss James. They have the beauty and musical skills of the family. I can barely play hot cross buns.”
            “You don’t find music amusing then?”
            “To listen to yes but I cannot play music, even though to appease my Grandma I practice. I have neither the ear not the talent.”
            “Well then how do you delight your time?”
            “With stories. I love to write stories, one day I hope to be published,” she saw his little smile “I know it’s silly,” she said lowering her head.
            “Not at all,” he saw like she had before. “What do you write about?”
            “Adventure, passion, knights fighting for the girl he loves, princes in Africa. Everything my life is not.”
            “What do you mean?”
            “I have not lived any but this house and this town of Pine Haven. Not very adventurous and my Grandma Danford tries to stifle out all passion.”
            “Maybe one day you will see the world.”
            “Maybe, but it’s unlikely.”
            “Really?”

No comments: