Monday, September 19, 2011

A Peg?


Image of Peg Dolls
Found at pinterest
 I know in high school every one tells you to "get out of your comfort zone experience something new." Maybe they were just telling me that because I seemed very pegged into a certain lifestyle. I don't mean to be a peg.  I think of myself as eclectic... liking music from Franki Valli and the Four Season to Beyonce and on the none pop side I am discovering a like for more The Dandy Warhol's and The Punch Brothers. But maybe I don't let people see my eclecticness (is that a word) because over this weekend I felt I had two incidences where people thought I wouldn't like something when I did. Maybe that sentence would work better if I described what I meant.

On Saturday night I went with out with kind of a new friend and some of her friends and we were walking back home she apologized for anything that made me feel uncomfortable. Which, on the surface is really nice. But I like over analyize things and I thought does she think I couldn't handle it, or I wouldn't like it. Maybe, yes I wouldn't have usually gone out to that bar. But that's only because I didn't know about it.
Picture of The Beehive
We went to The Beehive and I would say it is urban bohemian and a very cool atmosphere. And yes I may not have been my usual talkitive self but most of them were talking about architecture and I was just waiting for my way into the conversation since every one around me minus 2 girls were strangers. But I found it and eventually I was very comfortable talking. I don't really have "a scene" mostly because as long as its not too trashy or way to expensive I like a lot of things... I will go where people want to go. I don't go out very much so I don't have a usual place to go on a Friday or Saturday Night. But that doesn't mean just because it may not be my usual place (what ever that is) doesn't mean I won't like it. I loved being invited out and experiencing something new. And I bet I will go back again. So that is one instance where I don't like being pegged in for liking one thing over another.

If I don't know what it is how can I say I don't like it?

Another one incident where I felt like people pegged me was on Sunday. I was talking with a group of my friends. They were talking about all different groups in music. I said "I need a list so I can add these bands to my Pandora list." My friend gave me sort of a weird look and said "they were all blue grass". Okay? Maybe yes I wouldn't have usually chosen on my own to listen to blue grass but I can give it a shot. And I did. When I got home I actually googled Blue Grass Bands got some names (Alison Krauss & Union Station and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) added them to my Pandora Quick Mix. While I was doing some homework I really liked it.  So yes before Sunday I would not have listened to blue grass music. But now that it is on my Pandora I will keep listening to it.


So if I don't know whats out there, how can I say I don't like it?

So yes, like most people I have a comfort zone rather it be in my movies I watch, the music I listen to and the places I like but that doesn't mean I can't discover something new and love it too. 

I just don't like being pegged into one catagory... I do want to explore whats out there just sometimes I need a little push.


Found at Pinterest
Okay these are just my thoughts from a non-peg.

2 comments:

karen brown said...

bella fleck and the flecktones are awesome! enjoy~

TheBookGirl said...

I think it's good that you make affirmative steps to move out of your comfort zone every once in a while :)