Tuesday, September 13, 2011

When I Grow Up

When we are younger we have dreams of becoming doctor's or ballerinas. We all say "when I grow up I will be (fill in chosen profession)"... but when do we ever "grow up" in that context?

I think the first profession I wanted to be was a vet because I loved my dogs and I wanted to take care of other dogs. Of course my dogs were twelve pounds and also loved me and didn't mine me poking them or looking at there teeth. And I think I realized I that not all dogs were twelve pounds and being a vetI would have to deal with all types of animals and maybe not all of them would be so nice. So I walked away from the vet occupation. But I still love animals.

I think the next profession was a train conductor. When I was younger I watched "Shining Time Station" on PBS which is all about Thomas the Train and his friends. I loved it! I don't know if I ever asked or if I just knew my mom didn't have a lot of money back then so I never asked for a train set. I am not talking about electrical trains I am talking about a train set where you got to push the trains around yourself. But boy I wanted one... so what does a kid do... use their imagination of course! I took our movie booxes off the shelves and used the living room floor as my train track. I even remember my system. My Disney movie boxes were the engines because they were the biggest, the VHS we bought were the passenger cars, and the boxes that held recorded VHS stuff was the coal or freight cars.

Found at Justestuff.com
 During high school my mom, step-dad and I watched a lot of the show The West Wing and I wanted to be Donna. She was Josh's (Bradley Whitford) assistant and she she seemed so cool... she knew everything, she was depended on by every one but she didn't have any of the pressure to make the final call. I think even today I like that for a few months at my job I was a Manager on Duty and I hated those shifts because every one looked to me to make a call or be decesive... I am a great helper I am just not a manager. 
Donna played by Janel Moloney
Found at West Wing Beware
I have also wanted to be Abigail Chase from National Treasure. She worked for the National Archive and knew everything about everything, which seemed awesome (maybe if your a geek like me). This and my love for history might have been the reason I started pursuing my dual masters in library science and history. But after seeing the Library of Congress I knew I wanted to be able to walk through the Thomas Jefferson building every day... rather I was a tour guide, worked in the gift shop or actually worked as a librarian there.

A scene from National Treasure
Found at Aneesh Changanity
Found at Pinterest orginally pinned by Lindsey TePastte Kloeckner
This post isn't really about how what I thought I would be doing when I was young, that was to give you, my lovely readers some background into my life. I have wanted to be other things from TV producer to screen writer. I feel there are many paths I would like to take. I want to be an historian, I want to be an author, I want to be an archivist, I also want to go to culinary school and learn how to make fancy desserts like eclairs (I think there might be a fat kid in me wanting to get out). I guess my dream job is to be a full time mom and when my kids are at school take time write (mostly historical fiction, so I can use my love of history) and then bake yummy desserts on the side.

I guess one day I will have to stop saying "when I grow up" and actually do the things I dream about doing. When will stop saying I am a "wanna-be historian" or a "wanna-be writer" or a "wanna-be archivist" and just be those things. I don't know if there is an actual year or an actual date. I think I will stop saying it when I realize I am it. I am a writer... I may not be published but I write a lot and I will work on getting to the other two.


I found this while doing a google search for "historical research" thought it was funny.
Found at The Trades
  These are my thoughts for the day... hope you are pursuing what you want to be...even if its on the side from what pays the bills.

1 comment:

TheBookGirl said...

Enjoyed the glimpse into your thoughts :)
That Thomas the Tank Engine table brought back such fond memories -- my daughter had a set-up just like that, table and all and we would spend hours together playing with it.