Friday, January 13, 2012

The Ball


  
 The instruments announced the first dance was about to begin and Nicholas was soon at Kathryn's side to have the first dance. Kathryn saw Emmy dancing with Caleb and Julia dancing with a man she had not been introduced to. When she asked Nicholas if knew the man, he reported it was Mr. John Melbourne. A good man but rather a bore, "poor Julia," he laughed. After a few minutes of dancing Kathryn saw Brandon taking the dance floor with Laurel. No one in Kathryn's acquaints looked particularly happy with their partner minus Emmy and Caleb. After the first dance Emmy was asked to dance by Patrick Castellan, a boy Emmy used to have a crush on but he paid no attention to her until tonight. But after that was the waltz and Brandon James was quick to arrive at her side before any other caller could arrive.
            "Hello Mr. James."
            "Hello Miss Emmy, have you still kept this dance free for me?"
            "I have indeed."
            "I am glad, it seems like everyman here wants your attention."
            "It is amazing what a new dress and some hair styling has done." Emmy had been proper all night but since Brandon had proved himself such a dear friend she felt quite at ease. "No one in this town noticed me before tonight and now thanks to your sister everyone is whispering about me. It feels nice."
            "My sister should not take the credit or your beauty."
            "But she should."
            "Why your beauty already existed."
            "Mr. James, please don't go complimenting me. All night I have listened to false compliments and it has been such a bore do not ruin my night completely."
            "I was not giving you any false compliments."
            Emmy was embarrassed then by her inconsiderate words. "Oh Mr. James I am sorry. Until tonight I was invisible, no one noticed me, at least not for my looks, and now I am not sure how to handle it all. I guess I assumed everyone was being false to me."
            "Even if they were, I would never be false to you. If you think that, then we clearly are not friends."
            "Mr. James do not say that; can we not begin again? I promise this time I will take your compliment and be thankful."
            "Perhaps you are right Miss Emmy I was being too forthright and I could see how could sound false."
            "No Mr. James I was wrong, and now I have ruined this whole dance for us and the waltz is my favorite dance."
            "It was not ruined for me Miss Emmy," he smiled at her.

For more click here

No comments: