Sunday, February 19, 2012

Holding our breath

Hello lovely readers,

As you might have caught on I am a huge Downton Abbey fan but I have not been able to write about as much as I would like because my mom, my most loyal reader, has not been caught up on all the Downton Abbey action. But tonight I talked to her and she told me she is all caught up so I am so excited to post about episode seven or how it was originally known in England "The Christmas Special."

Last week we saw the sweetest and saddest moment in Downton Abbey. We watched Matthew and Mary come so close to being together but then Lavina caught them and died of broken heart and Matthew refused Mary forever.
Pic
We also saw Anna turn as white as a ghost as her husband, Mr. Bates, got arrested for murder.
Pic
The bright spot in the show was knowing that Lady Sybil and Branson are finally together. While Lord Grantham can not really accept their love and their relationship he does eventually bless their marriage.
Pic
Season one- Branson and Sybil

Pic
Season two- Branson and Sybil (a few years later)

Pic
Tonight season two comes to an end and we all hold our breath for season three.

Here is a 58 second preview of tonight's episode. 

While the dark shadow of Mr. Bates hangs over Downton Abbey. Some happy moments come out of this episode.They welcome in the 1920's and I must say the fashion change is noticeable from the hanging dresses and Lady Mary showing off her ankles.  Lord Grantham stands up for Mary, he wants to send her off to America to and says the great line "find a cowboy in the Middle west and bring him back here to shake us up a bit." Matthew finally is able to punch out Sir Anthony Carlisle, I laughed so hard when I saw it but I laughed harder when Maggie Smith delivers one of her great one liners. Carlisle tells her "I doubt we will meet again" and she says "do you promise?" Then the brightest moment of the show when Matthew and Mary finally stop being stubborn and get engaged. I do hope Julian Fellowes lets us actually watch the wedding and doesn't just skip over it. (It could be as big as Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding). 

The engagement scene, so you can watch it over and over again (as I have). 

Of course darkness still hangs over Downton Abbey. While Mr. Bates will not hang he is still in jail, we will just have to wait to see what happens next season.

I also want to see what happens to Lady Edith. Last week Edith admitted her fate as sister and aunt who helps her family. In the first season I hated her, this season I went back and forth from hating her to feeling sorry for her. As much as I hate her throwing herself at any man who crosses her path. She says "do you think I would give up on a man who calls me lovely?" I can see her desperation in wanting love and I hope she finds love, real love not just a desperation for love. 
Pic
I know they are already filming the third season of Downton Abbey which will cove the 1920s and I cannot wait to see what Julian Fellowes is plotting for the next year. I hope it doesn't have as many ups and downs as this season and I hope Sybil and Branson will make an appearance.

I do wonder what will occupy all the blogs and tumblrs as we wait for the third season.

My own personal collection of Downton Abbey memorabilia 

No comments: