Friday, August 26, 2011

A day of B

I have discovered a new blog A Day of K she has a few post about being an English major and not being able to define what she wants to do with her life at least not in words.

The closest I will ever get to fame
She writes about how she didn't have a name for the career she wanted. And how people would ask her "if she wanted to teach" or "did she want to read professionally" to which she answered no to. She actually wrote to Jodi Picoult and got some inspiring words.

This post got me thinking of two things in my life. When I got started working on my history degree lots of people asked me if I wanted to teach... I said I had no patience to teach. I just loved history. My mom had always told me college was not job training it was life preparation so it didn't matter really what I majored in. My dad had different thoughts on college always wanting me to take business classes, I didn't. I majored in American History with a minor in Women's studies. Where has that gotten me? A continued interest in history, but from the social side not political, also into grad school where I am continuing in history and library science. I also want to write historical fiction... for that I'm going to have to do research which I am fine with... I love research. I am a geek what can I say.

The next thing this post reminded me of when I wrote to my favorite author Jennifer Donnelly (more info on her at bottom of page), gushing over how much I loved the Winter Rose (the 2nd book in her trilogy) the fact that she wrote me back at all was amazing. I told her about my blog and she said she loved it and wished me luck on my writing endeavors. And the quote I have at the top of my page keeps me going some times on my writing.

Ain't no thang - freelancing
First grabbed my attention because of Alexis Bedel... hello, I love Gilmore Girls.

So I started reading this post. She reflects on how she had lunch with her high school English teacher and the teacher telling her how the teacher wanted to write but couldn't make it work.

My mom has always said I was a good writer and when I started this blog and started reviewing movies my Grandpa said I should work for a newspaper writing. I do want to be published one day but for now I just like writing... to make it a career I think would take the joy out of writing for me, at least in the fast pace of print journalism. I like my little blog, my little story, and just enjoying the escapism of writing. I actually want to be an archivist for the pay check but a writer on the side. I am just happy that I have come out of the closet about my writing... and have gotten to share my life with you my lovely readers. I have been happy with all the kind words I have gotten. I love when people tell me they love my blog or that they even read my blog. I love when my mom and a friend told me that my blog inspired them to start their own blog. I have written more about it in my post "I'm a blogger" so I won't bore you again with my gushy details. Even if I never get published I am happy to have this littl nook for my writing.

basically these post told me if you had something to write about write it.

The quote in the picture "Writing is the only thing that when I do it I don't feel I should be doing anything else"- Gloria Steinem.

1 comment:

kaysie said...

Thanks for this little promotion girl! Keep writing and reading a ton. There are a TON of other blogs out there that can inspire you even more than mine. Check E TELLS TALES, Desirous (obviously), and Story of My Life. They are all fab!