Friday, August 26, 2011

Ways to Live Creatively



On Friday August 12th I posted this on my blog... saying i found it through FlutterHappy
Then on Monday August 15th I posted the Rules 1-6 and how I did or didn't follow them (included below). And I meant to write more on the rules but life happened and I didn't get back to them until today

1. Make list... I guess I make grocery list, packing list, mental to do list, and reading list (not very creative).

2. Carry a notebook everywhere... Yes I carry 2 one where I write my story and the other one that I write thoughts for my story or this blog. I have carried notebooks with me for a long time because you never know where inspiration will hit.



3. Try Free Writing... sometimes. I don't know if I am very good at it though but when I find a quote I really like sometimes I write about how I feel about the quote or what the quote means to me.


4. Get away from the computer... I wish I could more often but my work requires me to be on the computer all day and this blog also makes me stay on the computer. But for my story time I am away from my computer.

5. Be otherworldly... Yes, sometimes I feel I live too much in the world of my imagination.


6. Quit beating yourself up... I am trying to do that. My dad calls me a "people pleaser"... and I know that's true so I take people's words (criticism more than anything very personally) so I have to give that up if I want to be a writer because not every one is going to like my work and I can't beat myself up over it.

NOW FOR RULE 7-16

7. Take Breaks- This is hard when I am writing creatively esp. when I get like a spark of an idea I just want to keep writing but I know I have to take breaks, go outside and take a walk around the block or hang out with friends.

8. Sing in the shower- I used to do this a lot, when I was living at home I have kind of quieted down when I had roommates.

9. Drink Coffee/Tea- Yeah another reason for my coffee addiction. But I am not sure how this makes me creative minus a jolt of coffee to make me write faster.


10. Know your roots- I am not sure how far I have to go back for this. I know on my mom's side I am 13th generation American with ancestors fighting in the Revolution and the Civil War. My mom has kept me well informed on her side of her family as she loves gen I am from Oklahoma, and sometimes I have stories floating in my head about a country girl. I wrote about when my Grandma was sick that..."As a future archivist and a want to be author. I love that she has kept all her journals and notebooks from when she was younger. She also has kept all her family and our family's photo albums neatly organized. I would love to one day be able to explore her world a little bit more." (for more click here)... I would still like to explore more into that world and know those roots better.

11. Listen to new music- This is a little hard for me to follow because I love the songs on my blackberry and I don't really listen to the radio minus some Saturday mornings when I listen to WERS here in Boston that plays the Best of Broadway from 10-2. (If you like Broadway Musicals but don't live in Boston they stream live through the Internet... click here.) But when I do discover a new song I keep it going on my play list. My music has changed through the year... it's not knew but in January I saw Jersey Boys and love Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and after seeing Footloose I love the 80's music. But I love when people give me new music to listen to. For example one of my best friends recommend I listen to Pomplamoose... and now I love them too.


12. Be Open- Working on this because I know what I love and I am stubborn sometimes to discover new things.


13. Surround Yourself with Creative People-All my friends.One of my best friends is learning how to play the ukulele, and wants to work with stain glass and the desserts she makes are so creative and tasty. A lot of my friends like to paint.


14. Get Feedback- I like hearing what people think of my story. If you want to read it... click here it is based off the plot of Sense and Sensibility but I have changed a few things.


15. Collaborate- This I have hard time doing because I get lost in my own world.


16. Don't Give Up- This I need to have posted on my mirror as a daily reminder.


Okay I promise to write more on these rules later.


This weekend I am going to a friend's baby shower and finish packing up my apartment. Can't wait for this move to behind me.


1 comment:

kaysie said...

I'm so glad you're staying inspired! Please do write historical fiction, that's my favorite genre :) Have you read The Book Thief?