Monday, August 8, 2011

Beauty is Pain


Okay so today I went to get my eyebrows and lip waxed...something I hate to do but know I have to because if I don't I feel like how Julie Andrews describes Anne Hathaway for having bushman eyebrows. But I know what I have to do. So I went and OW! When I sat up to look at my brows I had to wipe a tear away and the woman asked me if I was all right. I said "yes" but I really wanted to be like "no I hate this". But I didn't want to say that, that would be mean.


I do remember the time my mom first took me to get my eye brows waxed and it was the first time I wanted to yell the F word. I don't like pain. I guess minus a few minor things I have never experienced pain, I have yet to break my arm or really any bone and I haven't given birth to a child. I guess I have little to compare a waxing too.


I know my mom, and sister and any other woman who is reading this that has given birth is probably laughing because I complain abotu the pain of my eye brow waxing and giving birth as my mom told me is like "pushing a turkey through your nose." (Yeah can't wait for that).


Any way maybe a woman can tell me why we go through this. I know we have to, to make ourselves look beautiful but I want to know why. For thousands of years women didn't wax, didn't shave and yet I read history books and they describe women as beautiful. Anne Boyelyn's beauty was suppose to have captured King Henry's heart but yet I bet she never waxed her eye brows. Maybe I should do some research into women's beautification systems. I do like fashion history so this is not that far away from that.


So some one needs to fill me in on this?



Just re-read this posting and thought about how during my senior year of college I studied about the corset and the what pain and restrictions it did to the body and I'd rather get my eye brows waxed then wear a corset. I guess compartively we girls in the 21st century have it easier than other centuries so I should not complain too much.


Pardon my oh so random rant.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Women and beauty. Perhaps Anne Boleyn never waxed her eyebrows, but she did pluck her hairline as a high forehead was desirable back then. Anne's daughter, Queen Elizabeth, also plucked her hairline and her brows. And in other eras, women did wax. Arms, legs, other places, especially the Napoleonic/Jane Austen era you enjoy so much. Like you say "beauty and pain". Enjoying your blog!

Blaire said...

Thanks mom for fixing my thinking. I thimk a long with my fashion interest I will have to look into the beautification of women